Gene Doyle Fishing Tournament Official Rules
The 23rd Annual Gene Doyle Fishing Tournament
Which Will Forever be Known As
The Gene Doyle COVID Virtual Tournament
The tournament rules can be found below
For more information, you can also call Tournament Co-Chairs Mary Payne (239) 398-5219 or Rebecca Vaccariello (518) 461-4050.
- HAVE FUN. This is Rule #1 and all other rules are subject to this one.
- The Tournament will be held October 1 to October 20, 2020 with fishing whenever and wherever the anglers wish to fish. All photos must be submitted by registered anglers no later than 11:59 pm, Tuesday, October 20, 2020 to be entered.
- All anglers may depart from and return to any place they wish. All fishing can be from a boat, kayak, canoe, paddleboard, dock, beach, rock jetty, shoreline or any other place with access to water.
- Registration for the tournament is required. Anglers may register any time before October 20, 2020 to be entered. Sign up online at www.GeneDoyle.org. THERE IS NO REGISTRATION FEE. Registration by all anglers under the age of 18 must be approved by a parent or guardian.
- Anglers may fish whenever they wish, day or night.
- Cameras. This is the important rule! Each angler take photos of the anglers and the fish caught. All photographs entered in the Tournament become the property of the Gene Doyle Memorial Foundation and may be used in print publications, website and social media.
- To be considered for the largest fish prize or the Trash Can Slam, a photograph of the fish must be taken with a ruler that clearly shows the length of the fish.
- All anglers must have a valid fishing licenses or be exempt from licensing requirements.
- Licensed captains may enter as anglers in the Captain Division.Format and Awards
- The Gene Doyle Virtual Fishing Tournament is traditionally a backcountry catch and release tournament. We’re still catch and release, but this Virtual Tournament allows entry of any fish species. Instead of trophies, there will be fun prizes for each winner AND every angler who enters and submits at least one photo has the chance to win a free entry to the 24th Annual Gene Doyle Backcountry Fishing Tournament April 16-18, 2021.
- Awards will be given in Four Divisions:
- Youth – 15 and under
- Fly Fishing
- Captains (see Rule 9)
- Awards are made in each division for:
- Largest Snook
- Largest Redfish
- Largest Trout
- Largest Largemouth Bass
- Additional awards for
- Best Photograph – Please take lots of photos of anglers (all fishing with you) and sunrise and sunset and interesting stuff including fish. Photos are the only way we will know about how much fun everyone is having.
- Most Outstanding Fish Ever Caught – All fish entered must be caught during the 2020 tournament except this one. Send us a photo of the largest/best/most rare fish you ever caught and you might win this one.
- Trash Can Slam – A single award for the angler catching a Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish and Catfish all on the same day with the greatest total number of inches for the three fish.
Documents and Contact
Documents and Contact
The 23rd Annual Gene Doyle Fishing Tournament which will forever be knows as The Gene Doyle COVID Virtual Tournament.
The tournament will be held October 1 to October 20, 2020 with fishing whenever and wherever the anglers wish to fish.
No entry fee.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2020
Finalist Interviews: Thursday, April 23, 2020
Winners Announced: Friday, April 24, 2020